Tuesday, December 1, 2009

the little things

Why is it that it is the little things that annoy us the most and usually take the smallest amount of effort to fix.  No I am not rambling on about some great meaning of life, the universe and everything.  It is something far more basic than that.
I am talking about cleaning the windows!!!
We have a set of 3 double hung sash windows in our bedroom that look out into the garden.  It is a lovely view - one I am looking at right now actually.  Gotta love a laptop..

Everyday since we have moved in I have looked out these windows and thought - I MUST WASH THESE DAMN WINDOWS..  but you know what it's like there are 5 million other jobs to do and it gets forgotten.
However there is one problem in that - actually it's two.  1.  Everyday I look at them and they annoy me because I haven't washed them.  2. In the last week a few people have dropped by for a look at the house and it has always been in the afternoon - when the sun is shining right on the windows showing how dirty they are!! So there I am showing people my lovely house but cringing because you can't see out the dirty windows.

But all is now good -  I actually spent the 30 minutes required yesterday and cleaned the bloody windows..
So now I am looking at the world clearly - unenemcumbered by a fog of dirt and grime..
Minutiae

PS:  Want to know what is best for cleaning windows quickly and easily -  I was told this by a professional window washer.  You don't need any expensive sprays, metho, etc.   Just a bucket of warm water, dishwashing detergent (it strips off all the grime on the windows, just like it does on the dishes), one of those window squegee things, and a old towel.

Wipe the window with the foam side of the squeegee that has been dipped in the water and detergent.  Leave for a little bit so the detergent soaks into the dirt.  Wipe off foam with the stripper side of squeegee, wiping the strip with the towel after each pass.  Wipe excess water from the bottom of the window. Hey you're done..

2 comments:

Drewzel said...

How those windows looking? Still clean? heheheh....

prashant said...

these are great post
data entry work from home